Monday, April 7, 2008

On the road again... but where to?

The cast and I are about to hit our southern leg of the tour and I'm pretty excited about it. Along the way, I'll be able to see my cousin in DC, my sister in Florida and numerous friends scattered across the southern states. Though I'll miss the city desperately, I'm looking forward to warmer weather and relatively later call times. 

I do, however, keep thinking about what's next. I find myself doing that alot - consistently looking forward to the next job, living situation or project. It's a bit frustrating because I've set my sights on August; completely skimming past my tech directing gig in Italy during the months of June and July. Not that I don't look forward to Italy - I do - but I guess I'm looking forward to that time when I'm no longer living out of my suitcase. This year has been just that: "The Year of the Suitcase". I've been bouncing all around with my belongings still stowed in my Chicago storage unit since I moved out of the apartment on Janssen Ave. in Chicago after graduation. My poor cat has had three temporary homes since then and my luggage has seen better days. Hotels have recently been the norm for me while my daily routines are far from routine. I'd sure like some stability (or at least consistency) in my life. 

When I get back from Europe, I plan on staying here in the New York for a long while - only taking jobs here in the city. I want to take classes and devote myself to my craft. I want to hold down a nice apartment and focus on me for a while. I may need to get a temporary side job in order to do that but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Hopefully I'll be able to find some quick tech work while I get situated and stable enough to hit the auditions. However it works out, I'll be good. I'll be happy. 

I am quite happy in my life right now and I do enjoy the adventure that this year has proven to be. Come May, I'll have spent my first year out of college supporting myself almost completely on professional theatrical gigs from acting to stage managing to scenic/lighting designing. I'm now in the Actors Equity Association (I just got my card in the mail!!). I can't complain. But like I've said before, I would sure like to step out of that shower and not have to pull my clothes out of a suitcase... But until then, my cat and I will have to be patient. I think he's got that one down just fine...

No comments: